Xingtera provides solutions to re-use existing underground mining cables (coaxial cables, twisted-pair wires, DC power-lines, etc) in order to enable reliable high-speed multi-node IP networks, for data, voice, video, and Ethernet data traffic throughout the whole mining site. Wired mining connectivity has been proved to offer better stability, redundancy, and flexibility.
Traditional Mining Communication Solutions
With the ever-increasing demand for IP networks in all mining sites, traditional communication or IoT solutions are experiencing all sorts of issues.
- Fiber optics provide the longest distance and the highest data rate, yet they are very fragile thus not flexible enough for a lot of underground situations;
- Ethernet cables are most common, however they can usually only achieve 100 meters of point-to-point communication. For large scale data networks, it’s always a challenge to install enough Ethernet cables as well as industrial Ethernet switches. Furthermore, the cost could get very high when the scale picks up;
- Wireless solutions are the most convenient of all. Unfortunately, in order to implement reliable wireless coverage, multiple access points (AP) or base stations must be established first, with a wired backhaul network to connect all points with the main router or gateway above ground. Therefore the infrastructure cost is really high and almost unbearable for small and medium-sized mines.
High-Speed Wired Communication Mining Networks
Because of all these challenged faced by traditional networking solutions, Xingtera’s wired communication solution provides a helpful alternative for reliable underground mining multi-node networking.
Based on Xingtera’s PLC or G.hn technologies, up to 1,000 nodes can be connected together using the same coax, twisted-pair, or DC power cables. The large number of concurrently online nodes helps to enable modern IoT applications in the mining industry. The maximum distance between any two nodes can be as high as 2KM (coax) or 800M (twisted-pair). The aggregate data rate can be as high as 1.7Gbps depending on multiple conditions. Furthermore, it is possible to use the same copper wire to provide DC power and IP data traffic at the same time.
Xingtera provides multiple choices of PLC or G.hn high-speed communication modules, for easy integration to mining devices, and faster time to market. Depending on the actual requirements of data rate, the number of nodes, latency, etc, we will recommend you with the best fit for your application.
Xingtera’s underground mining wired communication solutions have already been deployed in many mines globally. If current modules or solutions cannot fit the need 100%, Xingtera also offers customization service including software, hardware, and system-level development to better address each customer’s unique mining connectivity and IoT requirements.
- Wired high-speed communication PLC or G.hn chipsets and modules available
- IP network over coax, twisted-pair, power-line (AC/DC), or other metal wires
- Long transmission distance up to 800 meters (twisted-pair) or 2,000 meters (coax)
- Multiple solutions with various data rate capability: 100Mbps/1,000Mbps/2,000Mbps
- Support up to 1,000 nodes in a single network
- Support of multi-node cascade up to ten “hops”
- Enabling Ethernet and UART traffic simultaneously
- Enabling IP-based two-way and group voice communication
- Enabling video or surveillance camera streaming
- No need for underground industrial switches
- Excellent EMC characteristic, insensitive to electromagnetic interference, optimized for underground mining network
- MOD923 modules for 100Mbps mining audio and data network
- MOD927 modules for 1,000-node mining connectivity and IoT network
- MOD958 G.hn modules for 2Gbps high-speed mining data and video network